Certificate of Concentration

Graduate Certificate of Concentration in Middle East Studies

Who is eligible?
Graduate and Professional Students currently enrolled in an advanced degree at Yale.

Why pursue it?

The Certificate recognizes competency in the history, society, politics, and culture of the Middle East. Its award acknowledges substantial preparation in Middle East Studies, both in the student’s major graduate or professional field, and also in terms of the disciplinary and geographical diversity required to demonstrate expertise in the region as a whole. 

What are the requirements?

  1. Language proficiency. At least two years of successful study at the college level (or the equivalent) in one of the four major modern languages of the Middle East: Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish.
  2. Courses. A total of six courses in at least two disciplines on the Middle East and related issues. All courses must be completed with a passing grade. 
  3. Interdisciplinary Research paper. A qualifying research paper that demonstrates field-specific research ability focused on the area of concentration. After having completed substantial coursework in the area of concentration, students must seek approval from the Council Faculty Advisor for the research project they propose as the qualifying paper. Normally, the student will submit their request no later than the fourth week of the term in which they plan to submit the qualifying paper.

All requirements must be approved by CMES DGS or Chair. The parameters above are broad guidelines. No two transcripts are the same, and we will work with each student to fulfill the requirements. 

Who awards it?
The faculty of the Council on Middle East Studies at the Betty and Whitney MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies with the authority of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale.

What resources will help me pursue the Certificate?

The Council on Middle East Studies welcomes students to participate in its robust program of courses and extracurricular and research-related activities. As a federally recognized National Resource Center, the Council supports language study and research in the region with federal grants and other funds. Students may also tap the MacMillan Center’s larger set of competitive student grants, at macmillan.yale.edu/graduate-professional-student-grants.

How do I apply?

Applications may be submitted no later than the beginning of the penultimate term of study. We strongly recommend that you meet in advance with the CMES Chair or DGS to ensure all requirements are met. Download application here.

Contact Cristin Siebert: cristin.siebert@yale.edu